RESPONSE TO QUESTION BY DAVID CHAWAGA

	His question was whether there may be any radioactivity from mail sent
from Marinskaya in Volochisk, Ukraine.

	I would like to relate a story of similar interest and possibly shed
some light on your question.  Last year a Safety Officer from a neighboring
utility called and asked if he could bring a friend by to have some surveys
performed on material brought back from the Soviet Union.  She was from a
local church group that had been in the Ukraine doing humanitarian work.  The
relief work was for the people removed from the evacuation zone surrounding
the damaged reactor at Chernobyl.  	She had received many gifts from the
people of that region.  Most of the gifts were old, used and fragmented items
from the families.  There were plates, toys, cloth goods and other everyday
items.  There were even dolls made of tree bark and wood from the area near
Chernobyl.     	I performed several surveys of the items.  I surveyed
for loose surface contamination as well as fixed.  I looked for alpha, beta
and gamma activity.  The only item that had activity was a lead crystal
pitcher, which was found to have only naturally occurring radioactive
isotopes.
	The best answer to your question would be it is very unlikely that
detectable radioactivity would be found on any correspondence.  However this
is only my opinion and since I am not an expert in the manufacturing of paper
products, should be viewed as such.

Jeff Hoffman
Senior Radiation Protection Tech.
Radiological Health Department