Cardiac Stress Test

Chris --
I just saw part of the game, and I didn't know about Shaq's
cardiac stress test. As an aside, one of our program
managers had a cardiac stress test while we were testing
some telemetered radiation monitors in our offices. When he
returned to our office, radiation readings at 1 foot from his
torso were approximately 8 mR/hr -- probably an hour or so
after the test -- with a microR meter you could detect his
presence at distances well in excess of 50 feet. Anyway, we
used him to make our detectors "alarm" (they were set at 50
uR/hr) simply by placing his hand on the detector box for a
few seconds.

If I remember correctly these tests use Tc-99m (I'm an
environmental type, not a licensing type) which has a half-life
of about 6 hours. Assuming that Shaq had the test on
Tuesday morning, the Tc would have gone through about 5
half-lives before the game Wednesday night, and exposure
rates to other players, officials, etc. should have been
extremely low if measurable. Not to carry on a previous
message thread, but I'm sure the Orlando players got more
exposure on the flight to Atlanta ... particularly if they had to
circle Hartsfield Airport for a while as is growing more and
more common.

I can't speak to the possibility of  Tc coming out in
perspiration (I know that I-131 will!) but again, due to the
short half-life I wouldn't expect it to be a major problem.
Unfortunately, we didn't take the opportunity to collect
samples the last time our buddy had his cardiac stress test
-- we were too busy using him to test our telemetered
monitors.

Jim Hardeman, Manager
Environmental Radiation Program
Environmental Protection Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
4244 International Parkway, Suite 114
Atlanta, GA 30354
(404) 362-2675   fax: (404) 362-2653
Jim_Hardeman@mail.dnr.state.ga.us

>>> Anthony, Chris <anthonc@wrigem.wpafb.af.mil>
05/16/96 08:55am >>>

Evidently during the Monday night game Shaq felt he  was
having heart problems which prompted a physical
examination to include a  heart stress test.  If Shaq was
injected with a radioactive material, this  brings about the
question of contamination and radiation exposure to the
other players, coaches, the O rena and basketball through
his perspiration  (gushing sweat).