Re: Ramp Site

>Our legal department is asking me to prepare a worst case
>scenario for our potential liability from our use of Ramp
>Industries as a waste broker.
>
>Does anyone out there know if EPA has determined a
>settlement scenario,i.e., cost per cubic foot remaining,
>cost per cubic foot delivered to the site, etc.

The word I have gotten is a 4-5 million dollar final cost, with little or no
definite knowledge of total volume on site (which one might use to determine
one's share).

In addition, my last contact with Carol Pokorny with the EPA, on 4/3, went
as follows:

SNAFU.

The "two to three weeks" of last month's estimate was clearly optimistic,
and there have been complications which have delayed the issuance of second
contact letters, including settlements on another site, trouble in acquiring
the original records from the RAMP site, and an imminent office move which
has disabled her division's computers.

Ms. Pokorny will not be so bold as to venture a revised estimate of when we
should receive our second contact letters, except that it _might_ be in the
"next month or two".

She suggested that I wait until May to get another status report, because
the whole situation is developing much slower than anticipated.

>Or, failing that does anyone know of any previous
>settlements that could be used as a guideline for
>determining how EPA is likely to go with RAMP.

People who had been involved in Maxey Flats might post a suitably sanitized
summary of the liability allocations, if they were inclined.

Hope this helps.

John

*John DeLaHunt, EHS & RSO * 1125 Glen Avenue          *
*The Colorado College     * Colorado Springs, CO 80905*
*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu* VOX:  (719)389-6678       *
*        Owner:           * FAX:  (719)635-3177       *
*hazmat-l@cc.colorado.edu *                           *
****My opinions only, not those of Colorado College****