Re: Slit Lamp Eye Exams

To All,

It was decided several years ago that the slit lamp examination
(SLE) in the old Radiation Medical Examination required by
NAVMED-P5055, the Navy's Radiation Health Manual, was not
necessary for a routinely exposed radiological worker population.
This was a delayed recognition of the large doses required to
have radiogenic cataract formation in the lens of the eye, which
dose levels simply are not seen in non-accident activities (at
least in the US Navy!).

The SLE may still be required for laser safety programs,
particularly for persons using medical lasers of Class IIIB and IV,
but that is not an ionizing radiation issue...

Regarding tritium, which somehow has gotten linked to this thread,
there are very few, if any, scenarios where reactor primary coolant
water with any significant amount of tritium will not have readily
detectable levels of gamma emitters which the Navy's ELTs have more
than adequate detection equipment for.  The precautions taken are
very rigorous in the handling of reactor primary coolant water.
Regarding radiation detection equipment for measuring tritium levels
explicitly, it exists in the Navy but is primarily used for other
scenarios.

Good Day (this is all my opinion/interpretation, not the Navy's!),

MikeG.

At 12:40 PM 5/21/96 -0500, you wrote:
>As an exiNuke, I just don't recall ever seeing anyone performing these
>surveys and until I got out of the Nav, I'd never heard of tritium...
Michael P. Grissom
Special Assistant, SLAC
mikeg@slac.stanford.edu
Phone:  (415) 926-2346