Re: THORIUM AND URYNAL COMPOUNDS

On Tue, 21 May 1996, Steven Hand wrote:

> From: SHAND
>

>           My apologies if this has already been discussed.
>           We have several containers of uranyl nitrate, acetate
>           zinc acetate, and thorium nitrate, all solids which
>           cost 12 dollars per gram to dispose of.  Other than
>           keeping them forever in our storage building, has anyone
>           a suggestion as to what we can do with them, or perhaps
>           a less expensive way of getting rid of them ?
>
>           We have 3710 grams total, and they are at least 12 yrs old.
>
>           Thank you, and please be careful about the part where
>           I said "does anyone have a suggestion as to what we can
>           do with them"
>
> steve, umcp

On Tuesday, 21 May 1996, Myung Chul Jo wrote:

Uranyl nitrate and thorium nitrates are considered oxidizers, refer to 40
CFR 261.21. and 49 CFR 172, and radioactive. However, 40 CFR 268.9
have "Special rules regarding wastes that exhibit a characteristic". U, Th
nitrates exhibit the characteristic of ignitability. The waste analysis and
recordkeeping requirements are stated in 40 CFR 268.7.

Here is what I did, (1) file waste analysis and treatment plan to regional
EPA  (2) Our treatment plan was to deactivate the ignitability of U, Th
nitrate powder by solidifying in concrete (3) After approval from the EPA,
U, Th nitrates are mixed with concrete and solidified. (4) The solidified
nitrates no longer exhibit the characteristic of ignitability. (5)
Therefore the solidified nitrates are treated as low level
radioactive waste.

These are only my opinion...

Myung Chul Jo, <mjo@scs.unr.edu>
University of Nevada, Reno