RE: THORIUM AND URYNAL COMPOUNDS

At 12:43 PM 5/22/96 -0500, John McCormick wrote:

>The problem with these compounds and some other true "mixed wastes" is not
>whether they are regulated under AEA or RCRA, the problem is how to dispose of
>them.  Burial sites and other radioactive waste processing facilities cannot
>accept materials that contain compounds that could be considered a listed or
>characteristic waste. <snip>

Maybe I didn't make this clear.  Listed and characteristic wastes are
sub-classes of solid waste.  In order to be listed or characteristic waste,
the material must first be a soild waste as defined under RCRA.
AEA-regulated materials are explicitly excluded from the definition of solid
waste.  So even if these materials exhibit a restricted characteristic,
these materials cannot be classified as hazardous waste, because they are
not soild waste (legally).  They are simply LLW and can treated as any other
non-RCRA LLW.

BTW, I agree that $12.00 per gram is outrageous.

Dave Scherer
scherer@uiuc.edu