Re: Slit Lamp Eye Exams

Scott,

I had a slit lamp exam as part of my first radiation worker physical in 1965
for GE.  The exam is simply to shine light through a slit in a dark cover
over a small flashlight ( hence the name into each eye while in a darkened
room.  The examiner is looking for cataracts or other opacity in the lens of
the eye.  All radiation workers that were exposed to radiation workers
routinely received this exam which I believe was discontinued in the early
1970's.  The logic was to prevent spurious radiation injury claims based on
neutron radiation exposure - especially since there was a great deal of
uncertainty as to the RBE for neutrons and neutron energy was not normally
measured.  Doug Turner  turners@ earthlink.net