Occupational and Public Dose

When the re-definition of Occupational Dose came out last September, I
raised the following question with the NRC but I never received an answer.

The revised definition states, "Occupational dose means the dose received
by an individual ***in the course of employment*** in which the
individual's assigned duties involve exposure to radiation and/or to
radioactive material..."  And, the NMSS Licensee Newsletter states,
"Licensees must control doses to individuals ***who are not employees*** with
assigned duties involving radiation to within the public dose limit..."

What about volunteers?  In hospitals there are many people who volunteer
their time but are not employees and may be exposed to radiation in the
course of their ***activities***.  One could argue that a volunteer is an
unpaid employee, but this is a stretch.  If they are employees wouldn't
minimum wage laws apply?

What about a member of the clergy who visits brachytherapy patients?  What
about students?  In universities students routinely use radioactive
material in the course of their ***activities***.  Students are customers,
not employees.

Kent Lambert
LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu

All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say they are not the opinion of my
employer. - Paraphrased from Michael Feldman.