Hormesis and Chernobyl

I subscribe to a periodical called "Access to Energy" (available from Access
to Energy, Box 1250, Cave Junction OR 97523 for $35 for 12 monthly issues
[Canada $37, overseas, by air mail only, $40]).  The May, 1996 issue
contained the following statements: "When this information (Marv Goldman's
article "Cancer Risk of Low-Level Exposure" in Science 271, pp1821-1822,
March 1996) spreads to the public media, it is likely to stimulate a
technological revolution.  In the best interests of not getting too far
ahead of this and becoming a negative influence, we refrain for now from
answering an obvious question - will the lives saved by radiation hormesis
from Chernobyl exceed the lives lost from the intial accident?  Hint: The
likely answer is definitely not politically correct."  Has anyone out there
done such a calculation?  Why should such calculations not be required in
ALARA evaluations?  In Environmental Impact Statements? etc?  I think I know
the answer, but tell me anyway.

By the way, Access to Energy should be required reading for all RadSafers
(OPINION).  The ideas therein are stimulating and useful in our battle
against psudoscience and the anti-everythingers.  Try it for a year and see
if you do not agree.   Al Tschaeche. xat@inel.gov