Re: LEAD HAZARDS

Gary:
    I guess I qualify as an expert since it was our studies of lead
levels in children and adults exposed to motor vehicle air pollution that
first showed how much such pollution contributed to the body burden.
(Science 1967, 132-134). Lead of course is an occupational risk, and
fume is more hazardous than dust because if its absorption in the lungs
(about 40% retention) rather than from the gut (5-10%).  Other documented
sources are paint, printing inks, toothpaste tubes, certain kinds of
pottery glazes, wine which may have ineracted with the lead foil covered
corks, some agricultural chemicals, cosmetics (kohl), BUT I  HAVE NEVER
SO FAR HEARD OF FISHERMEN INTOXICATED BY CLINCHING LEAD WEIGHTS. A blood
lead test, which any industrial hygienist could get for you should answer
your personal question.  Recent use of tests for effects on porphryn
metabolism, one of which is called the ZPP (zinc protoporphryn) is cheap
nd easy and can be done on a drop of blood from a filter paper and is often
used for surveys.   Good fishing.   John Goldsmith, M.D., M.P.H.
gjohn@bgumail.bgu.ac.il.  Ben Gurion University, Beer Sheva, Israel