Re: Newspaper Story About Soviet Pu Workers in 40's and 50's

Dear Colleagues:
     What seems relatively newsworthy in this story is the health endpoint,
"pneumoscleriosis".  In my scant contacts with Russian radiological
health personnel, they seem to have documented a substantial amount of
hot particle inhalation and to have more pulmonary fibrosis among those
exposed. I assume these are related.  In our preoccupation with cancer, I
don't recall many reports of pulmonary fibrosis. I looked for such reports
for uranium miners but failed to find them.
Can some of you radsafers fill us in on this?
    John Goldsmith, M.D., M.P.H., Ben Gurion U.  gjohn@bgumail.bgu.ac.il