Crosspost from: OEM: cataract and radiation

I thought someone here might be better prepared to answer these questions than
the OEM folfs.

In article  Dr Yosi Riback <occup01@post.tau.ac.il> writes:
>Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 10:45:29 +0300 (IDT)
>From: Dr Yosi Riback <occup01@post.tau.ac.il>
>Subject: OEM: cataract and radiation
>To: dukeoccupmed <occ-env-med-l@MC.DUKE.EDU>

>I am interested in anyones input regarding a case of radiation induced
>cataract. I am following a group of hospital employees who are exposed to
>ionizing radiation. One of the workers is a 45 year old oncologist who
>has minimal exposure to radiation ( removing radiation sources from
>cancer patients occasionally) who has developed a cataract: +1 focal
>posterior subcapsular cataract". It seems to me that it is not related to
>work since he has high myopia (-11), and minimal exposure to radiation,
>much less than the TLV according to his badge reports over the last 15
>years. I would like to know if anyone knows any good summary references
>on the association of high myopia with cataracts. What is the dose of
>radiation required to produce a cataract?, and What is typical about
>radiation induced catarcts? anterior vs posterior?, focal vs diffuse?

>Thank you,  Chaim Cohen MD.

Louis H. Iselin, Ph.D.           * Go Gators! *                   <*>
Assistant Professor of Physics (Health Physics Program)
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania
Bloomsburg PA  17815-1399                  liselin@planetx.bloomu.edu