Re: Nuclear downsizing here; upsizing there

At 10:09 AM 6/24/96 -0500, you wrote:
>The post by Sandy Perle regarding his "downsizing" brings to mind the
>April 26th editorial in Science magazine.  The editorial pointed out
>that no new power reactors have been authorized in the US in the past
>ten years.  The number of university nuclear engineering departments
>in the US has decrease from 80 in 1978 to 35 today.
>
>In the meantime, Japan plans to "upsize" its 49 power reactors by 40
>more.  South Korea has 19 under construction to add to its 11
>operating reactors.  Taiwan, Indonesia, and China are also have
>additional power reactors in the planning stages.  The reactors are
>being built in 5 years or less and, in the case of Korea, are
>achieving over 85% average capacity factor.
>
>When these additional reactors are up and running, the generated
>electricity will not be used solely to power hair dryers and TVs.
>The effect on energy-dependent jobs in the U.S. might be summed up
>in one phrase - "NIMBY".
>
>Rick
>

>|~~~~\  /~\  |~~~~\ |~|  /~\  |~\_|~||~~~~~| Richard G. Strickert, Ph.D.
>| [> / / _ \ |  D  || | / _ \ | \ \ ||     | POBox 201088, Austin, TX 78720
>|_||_\/_| |_\|____/ |_|/_| |_\|_|\__||     | (512)310-5259  FAX (512)244-0160
>-------------------------------------| LLC | Internet:rick_strickert@radian.com
>I  N  T  E  R  N  A  T  I  O  N  A  L|_____|   ---> "All written IMHO." <---

A recent article titled "Nuclear Power Browning Out" appeared in the
May/June issue of The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists which paints a much
less optimistic picture of nuclear power abroad.  Following are some summary
points from the article:

The nuclear power programs in Japan and South Korea have become less
ambitious due to public opposition which has slowed the pace of construction
over the past decade.  In January 1996 the local government of S. Korea
decided to revoke building permits for additional reactors at the Yonggwang
station.  Due to local opposition, the Japanese government only approving
two sights for nuclear development since 1979, and Japans goal of doubling
their nuclear capacity is widely viewed as unrealistic.

In China, leaders have announced plans to build 15 plants by 2010, but
judging from the current pace of development and construction, this is
unlikely to come to fruition.

Taiwan has six reactors in operation, but none under construction since the
abandonment of plans for another two reactors in 1995.

The Philippines abandoned its nuclear program after building a single
inoperable reactor.

Indonesia and Thailand have considered their options, but not gone down the
path do date.

Mexico stopped building plants in 1994.

In Africa and the Middle East, only two power reactors are operating - both
in South Africa - and only one is under construction in Iran.

France gets 75% of it power from the atom, but it is building only four more
reactors, and all four are due to be finished by 1998.  Elsewhere in Western
Europe, Sweden completed its last plant in 1985, Spain in 1988, Germany in
1989, and Britain in 1995.

I'm sorry - and as a dyed-in-the-wool atom head it gives me great pain to
say it -  I don't share in your optimism Rick.

L.E. Fiske
Shepherd Miller, Inc.