Re: CALIBRATION OF CONTAMINATION DETECTORS

Hi Riasp-

I don't know right off of a reference that specifies which parameter you MUST
use, NCRP No 112 "Calibration of Survey Instruments Used in Radiation
Protection..." would be a good place to start. I'll look around. Seems to me
that it doesn't much matter, as long as you're prepared to demonstrate,
logically and mathematically, how a reading of the instrument can reflect the
amount of radioactivity on a surveyed surface. Depending on the mounting
media of the standard, corrections for geometry, backscatter (or lack of it),
and coverings (attenuation) are crucial, as you know.

For the unconditional release of areas, I'd think that it would be prudent,
and in some places required, that the methods of calibration be approved, in
advance, by the appropriate regulatory agency.

Best wishes-Chris Alston