Pig Skin and Other Stuff

     The recent discussion on pig skin and hot particles made me look at
     some references. I seemed to recall that one or two experiments had
     been done around 1970 on humans. (Oh No, another human radiation
     experiment!!! ;)

     Sure enough, on page 7, paragraph 3.2.5.2 of NCRP 106, "Limit for
     Exposure to 'Hot Particles' on the Skin" two such studies are
     mentioned, with references. Hard to imagine this being done today, but
     two studies were done on humans in 1969 and 1970. The report even
     compares the studies on humans and swine, noting that "...the
     data...show a consistent pattern." If you're curious about this
     subject, it makes interesting reading.

     Steven D. Rima, CHP
     sdrima@sandia.gov