Re: Free Release

At 10:22 AM 7/3/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Radsafers,
>
>My apologies if this topic has already been discussed.  I am in the process
>of reworking our facility's Free Release Policy/Procedure and I am looking
>for input on how to perform adequate surveys of the following items for
>release to unrestricted areas:
>
>1) Concrete blocks
>2) Wood - shelves,pallets, misc. scrap, etc...
>3) Items smaller than the surface area of a packake probe or items smaller
>than 100 cm2 (we have a
>     wide area probe also).  Items such as nuts, bolts, etc...
>4) Pipe, hoses, tubing
>5) Small electric motors

Mike, can you specify the nature of the potential contamination/activation?
Did these items come from a contaminated space, potentially contaminated
space, or just a place where there is potentially low level activation, or
combination of all.  Did the tubing possibly belong to a contaminated system....

We usually make a process knowledge based decision based on some of the
above questions before deciding what kind of release survey necessary.  Most
of our items of this type would not be subject to contamination, and we
would look for activation with a microrem meter.  Anything coming from known
or suspected contaminated area or system would get smear.  Depending on the
nuclides suspected (based on system specifics) we may be able to field check
the smears (or direct survey).

We are an electron accelerator, so depending on your facility, much of this
might not apply.
Keith Welch
Newport News VA
welch@cebaf.gov