Re: Free Release -Reply

Try emailing Ron Morgan, Los Alamos National Lab, at
RGMORGAN@LANL.GOV.  The Lab recently eliminated the RMMA
program (Radioactive Materials Management Area) for a much more
streamlined approach to managing wastes coming out of an RCA, and
Ron took the lead re: this lab standard.

DHARRISON@DOE.LANL.GOV

At 10:19 AM 7/3/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Radsafers,
>
>My apologies if this topic has already been discussed.  I am in the
process  >of reworking our facility's Free Release Policy/Procedure and I
am looking  >for input on how to perform adequate surveys of the
following items for  >release to unrestricted areas:

>1) Concrete blocks
>2) Wood - shelves,pallets, misc. scrap, etc...
>3) Items smaller than the surface area of a packake probe or items
smaller  >than 100 cm2 (we have a
>     wide area probe also).  Items such as nuts, bolts, etc...
>4) Pipe, hoses, tubing
>5) Small electric motors
>
>Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Mike Herbst
>University at Buffalo
>facmgh@facilities.buffalo.edu

Mike, Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station developed a
comprhensive check list for Junior HP techs of what should be
considered when unconditionally releasing items.  This was reviewed by
the NRC in Region I and they considered the guidance acceptable at the
time ( mid 1980's).  I would expect they would share this information
(which was proceduralized) if you request it.  There may need to be an
update for the new automated counters if you have that equipment.

Good Luck,

Doug Turner  Email turners@earthlink.net