Re: Instrument Calibrations

At 09:36 AM 7/3/96 -0500, you wrote:
>        Reply to:   RE>Instrument Calibrations
>
>I read with interest the recent thread on instrument calibrations. Those of
>you who calibrate using a pulse generator, how often is the pulse generator
>itself calibrated?
>
>Reply to: joel_antkowiak@pobox.tbe.com
>
>thank you.
>
>--------------------------------------

We use pulsers to simulate the signal from GM and scintillation detectors.
The pulser allows us to calibrate the survey instrument so that a "pulse" is
equivalent to a "count".  We purchased the pulsers so they were calibrated.
At six month intervals, we response check the pulser against a counter or
oscilloscope.  As long as the instruments agree, we continue to use the
pulsers as a standard.  If they don't agree, we determine the instrument
that is incorrect and have it recalibrated.  In 10 years, we have had only
one pulser fail the response check.

If I can provide any additional information, please contact me.

John Lobdell Ph.D., C.H.P.
lobdell@HiWAAY.net