Training for off-site E-people

Here is a summary of the responses regarding
training for off-site emergency responders.

1. poor cooperation getting the hospital to
participate although there is a letter of agreement.
Dependent on knowledge of the HP (based on direct
experience). [Note: That has also been my exprience-LAS]

2. no training for off-site people

3. annual training for hospital personnel.  Escort
fire/rescue personnel.

4. detailed training for fire, hospital, and state
personnel at licensees site, annually.  High confidence
in their performance.  Good participation.

5. 1 hr lecture+tour, annually.  Got state certification
so it counts towards continuing education [great idea!].

6. drill for HazMat team.  Good experience.

These are rather cryptic summaries of detailed responses.
Note that this does not reflect power reactor facilities
where the process is more formalized and funded.

NIST, like many of the larger federal sites, has an
on-site fire department.  But we depend on off-site
groups for added response.  In the northeast many of
these are partially (or fully) staffed by volunteers.
I was trying to get a feel for what others do to provide
training for these off-site groups.  Thanks for your
input.

A little risk adds spice to life.
slaback@MICF.NIST.gov