Re:MDA

 The NUREG-CR-5849 formula is a field approximation of the MDA for Surface Contamination. It looks like the author was thinking of alpha surface contasmination. In the field, its nearly impossible to use the equipment described, NaI 2x2, to scan soils and get an actual activity measurement. We have tried to correlate NaI response with soil Ra-226 concentrations on a number of projects, and have not had great success.  you are right in that geometry needs to be taken into account, also shielding from buried contaminants. I can't give you a formula for Minimum Detectable Activity for the surveying situation you are describing, but you might use the DOE concept of minimum detectable count rate. The formula for the MDR is
 for the same counting time for sample and background:

    MDR = [(4.65*SQRT(bkgd counts))/(count time)] + 2.71/count time

 Reference DOE Radiochemistry methods for different bkgd and sample count times.

Note that for a survey meter, measuring cpm with a background of about 8000 cpm, this yields an MDR of about 420. The problem is that the variance in meter readings is often greater than plus or minus 500 cpm.

Bottom line is that we use the NaI 2x2 as a screening instrument, but rely on lab counted soil samples to get the actual concentration.
Without setting up a "field lab" with reproducable geometries, homogenized samples, etc. you can't give a very accurate cpm per pCi/gm.

Luke McCormick c0etxlim@mrd42.mrd.usace.army.mil