Detection of soil contamination, MDA, etc

We had to clean soil contamination to <5 pCi/g Ra-226 at an UMTRA project
and used the following method:

In a small (5m x 5m) area a number (I think about 15) of soil samples were
taken, concentrating on the top 6" of soil, and the center of the section.
An Eberline SPA-3 (2"x2" NaI) collimated with about 1/4" Pb was used to
obtain a gamma reading (Bi-214 609 keV) in the center of the section.  The
soil samples were analyzed for Ra content.  This process was repeated about
10 times in different areas and concentrations to establish a correlation.
This gamma count rate was then used to determine Ra content during
excavation, with confirmatory soil samples taken when excavation was
complete.

We were able to readily demonstrate detection of levels <1 pCi/gm Ra-226.
When asked for a MDA/MDC, we changed the thrust of the question by
explaining that soil samples confirmed the efficacy of the technique at < 1
pCi/gm.  Anyway, who cares about MDA/LLD/MDC when the regulatory limits are
met at the end of the job?  Soil samples were the proof, and the LLD for
them is fractions of pCi/gm in the lab.  In my OPINION, without soil
sampling to establish a correlation, you're going to have a hard time
getting approval of a competant regulator (hmm...).

This method worked pretty well, though if a large area with differing
geology is excavated, K-40 or other interfering nuclides can ruin your day
(or even month).  We didn't publish unfortunately, and it was for a private
company, but if you think this is the way you want to go, contact me for
further information.

The above information has no bearing on my employer (past or present).

Brian Rees
Los Alamos National Lab
505-667-9980
brees@lanl.gov