MDA Formula

Yes, the formula is correct, with one clarification.  The square root is
actually:
sqrt (Background Count Rate x count time)

This statistic represents a 90% confidence level for L sub d, or the
detection limit, for a counting system.  It takes into account 5% type a
(false detection) and 5% type b (missed detection) errors in both the
background count and the gross count.  The formula is good for any
instrument and situation that produces counts, but as others have cautioned,
the geometry has to be identical for both background and source
measurements.  It is a good approximation, as it assumes that there is
insignificant difference between sigma(background) and sigma(gross), which
is for the most part true when you are simply determining L sub d.

It is perfectly appropriate to use the formula without the efficiency and
probe area/100 portions to come up with a minimum detectable count.  Those
two features simply make it an MDA (per 100 cm2) calculation.  For your
particular application, you would have to make certain assumptions (how is
the radioactivity distributed in the soil, what radionuclides do you expect,
etc.), and then either computer model or spike a representative geometry of
soil.  So, yes, you are right unless you want to go to great pains - it
(without the E and A portions) is of only a go-no go use.

Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
Operational Health Physicist
(757)249-7551 (w)
(757)249-7363 (fax)