Re: Commercial Uses of Pm-147

Date:          Wed, 10 Jul 96 11:20:32 -0500
From:          "Lawrence Burke" <Lawrence_Burke_at_atlas@smtpgate.anl.gov>
To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject:       Commercial Uses of Pm-147

     Fellow Radsafers,

     We recently have had a spill in a cold lab where the isotope was
     identified as pure Pm-147 (microcurie quantities).  This isotope is
     not part of our normal inventory, except as a minor constituent in
     fission products.  Does anyone know of commercial products that use
     this particular isotope?

     Lawrence Burke
     Health Physicist
     Argonne National Lab - West
     (208)-533-7078
     (208)-533-7344 Fax
     lawrence.burke@anl.gov

Lawrence,

I have found Pm-147 used with a fluorescing paint in pistol sights (
watch out!) :-) in some watches or dials,( although, T1/2 is a little short)
and in beta gauging devices and other devices where a small source of
beta radiation was needed.  Short shrift for the god who brought fire
to us mortals, eh?

               Russ Meyer
               Internet: cmeyer@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us
               tel: 512/834-6688