Re: Dose Rates from Patients -Reply -Reply

I agree with Keith Brown - the regulation says:

  "... an area, accessible to individuals, in which radiation levels
could result in an individual receiving a dose equivalent in excess on
0.1 rem in 1 hour at 30 cm ..."

The operative word is could.  The physician could be exposed.  Therefore
it is a high radiation area.

Bill Pitchford wrote:

> If an individual is in an area with a rate of 101 mr/hr for 45 seconds
> there is a vast difference between that and 101 mr/hr for 45 minutes, but
> if those individuals spend no other time in that area in any one hour,
> they still do not enter a "high radiation area" per the regulations.
> How often do practitioners spend major portions of hours in proximity to
> a given patient ? This is a still abbreviated explanation of my
> previous statement.--
Kent Lambert, CHP
lambert@allegheny.edu

All opinions are well reasoned and insightful.
Needless to say, they are not [necessarily] the
opinions of my employer. - paraphrased from Michael Feldman