Re: Stirring the pot

I'll throw out something else.

Is Health Physics Dead? I can attest to the fact that there are a number
of students graduating (graduated) with HP degrees, who are not able to
get jobs. Those who do, are looking at lower starting salaries or tech
jobs. Lay offs of fairly senior personnel have begun (right Sandy?).
Recent HP jobs that I know of have gotten over 50 applicants, with some
reported as many as 400.

And with federal and commercial downsizing, power deregulation, DOE hiring
freeze and budget cuts, power plants getting older, research dollars
getting harder to come by, the future doesn't seem much better.

Is this going to be discussed at the National Meeting? Or moreover, is
there anything we can do? What are new students being told? Is this as
grim as it looks?

-Bruce Busby