Re[2]: E-mailing dose records

This thread on dosimetry records is interesting and timely.

Two key functions of external dosimetry monitoring are to demonstrate compliance
with applicable regulations (NRC/State, etc.) and to assist the radiation safety
manager in planning work so that individuals do not accumulate exposures at an
unacceptable rate. In those contexts, the "client" of a dosimetry processor is
normally an institution rather than an individual employee.

Our laboratory provides personnel dosimetry services to Air Force personnel
worldwide.  In this context, we provide consolidated reports to each facility
following processing at the end of a dosimeter exchange period.  We also provide
individual reports to the local RSI at the end of each monitoring year.  The
local RSO  then re-distributes to the individuals involved. Over many years we
have also concluded that it is much more practical to establish a single point
of contact at each facility and leave the individual report dissemination to the
local level.  Routinely distributing large numbers of individual reports would
be a logistical nightmare -- I know of no practical way for central processing
laboratories such as ours or commercial processors to keep track of literally
tens of thousands of individuals who are constantly moving from place to place.

Our operation is a bit unique since we also maintain a central dose-of-record
repository that any individual monitored by the Air Force can contact for
purposes of obtaining prior exposure histories, etc.  We have found that
disseminating consolidated reports to individual facilities and obtaining the
assistance of those facilities in distributing individual annual summaries has
been very effective -- most of the requests we obtain for prior exposure
histories come from individuals formerly affiliated with the AF, not from those
currently being monitored.

We have begun distributing individual dose reports on floppy disk and are
developing procedures to do the same with consolidated reports at the end of
each monitoring period.  Taking the extra step of posting this type data to a
computer bulletin board or to the internet, while feasible, raises a number of
questions, including: (a) safeguarding individual privacy, (b) restricting
access to authorized individuals; (c) providing services to individuals who
don't have ready access to electronic data transfer, and (c) protecting against
corruption of archival data bases.  I'm sure there are many other issues.

It'll be interesting to read other's views on this issue.

Bruce Dicey
Chief Physicist - US Air Force Dosimetry
(210) 536-5569