Research/Open space Labs, mixing users, etc.

Cathy wrote:	"I need to hear problems and hopefully solutions to
compliance /
accountability issues where isotope users are mixed in with non-users in
large open lab spaces.

We have a Broadscope License, and we are a NON-agreement state. I have
experimental ideas about sub-permitting these areas; where a main licence
would kick in to cover accountability problems...any experience out there
on
that account???
I'm not sure how hot this topic would be on RADSAFE, but it sure is hot
here
on campus! So...you decide if your response goes to me or radsafe...Thanks
bundle..."

I'd be very leery of mixing users and non-users in the same lab unless the
non-users are trained (10CFR19 or equiv.) rad workers.  I was involved in a
(minor-<mCi)P-32 volatilization that contaminated the entire lab and gave
me and the researcher uptakes, if non-rad workers were present I can
envision all kinds of headaches.

In view of the aleged intentional mis-uses of P-32 and maybe other nuclides,
 why take a chance by increasing potential access.  I sure wouldn't want my
institution's name associated with such a case, and I'm not sure I could
defend such a decision.

I realize that $$$ are tight, and that space=$$$, but I believe that the
cost and stigma of a release (within the lab) or loss of accountability are
too great to risk.  Segregate the users and non-users.

As far as permitting is concerned, it sounds like a great idea, in that the
RSO can maintain the controls they desire.  The licence is to the
institution (right?), so nobody's off the hook institutionally, but
accountability is formallized.

The above opinions (obviously) are my own, and have no bearing on my
employer.

Brian Rees
Los Alamos National Lab
brees@lanl.gov