Single Void Pu Urine Samples, etc.

     The real problem with the suggestion to find a group of people with
     stable Pu excretion and due a study of normalizing is that very few
     people are excreting enough Pu to be detectable in a single void
     sample.  Most of the I(orU)PPU club and other similar individuals are
     detectable in 24-hour large volume samples but only at levels slightly
     above the MDAs.  When you figure that a single void represents only
     about 1/10 or so of the total excretion, the likelihood of that
     quantity being detectable in routine, state-of-the-art, radiochemical
     urinalysis procedures is very slim --- generally nil.  That's the
     whole point of my original statement that it is a poor practice to try
     to use single void Pu urine samples for routine bioassay.  If you were
     to see something detectable in one and extrapolated it to a daily
     volume, you would probably be at an intake of several ALIs.

     Single void samples are extremely valuable as special samples obtained
     immediately following suspected intakes, or as an indication of the
     effectiveness of DTPA chelation therapy for dose reduction following
     transuranic intake.  But the issue in these applications is really the
     need to start of continue therapy as opposed to accurate dose
     estimates.

     I did attempt to get funding from a couple of sources a few years ago
     for a special study of normalizing Pu urine based on different
     parameters.  Unfortunately, no one was willing to fund it.  In these
     times of tight money, declining budgets, and declining programs I have
     no real hope that anyone will sponsor such a study.

        Gene Carbaugh
        Internal Dosimetry
        Pacific Northwest National Lab
        eh_carbaugh@pnl.gov