Re: 75 Volt Batteries

> Hello Radsafers.
>
> I recently became the proud owner of a Hoffman Laboratories
> Countermaster Geiger counter/scaler, in it's original packaging (and
> still in the plastic bag liner!), with the original owner's manual and
> calibration information. It has never been used. I'm trying to get it up
> and running, but unfortunately, I can't find the proper batteries for
> it. It requires two 75 volt batteries. Printed on the inside of the case
> are these possibilities: Burgess XX50, Eveready 437, R.C.A. VS217,
> Philco P144, Ray-o-vac 4375, and General 144. All avenues I've tried
> indicate that these batteries are no longer made. If you know of any
> equivalent, or know where I might find these, please contact me.

	I'd suggest trying the closest physically equivalent 67-1/2 volt
	batteries.  Most equipment of that age was designed to accept
	widely varying battery power as the batteries aged. Alternatively
	I'd put in a combination of a 67-1/2 volt battery and a 9-volt
	cell. , or string 5 15-volt batteries in series.

	Good luck on getting that relic going!

Frank R. Borger - Physicist         ___        How many physicists does it take to
Michael Reese - U of Chicago     |___        change a light bulb? Only one.
Center for Radiation Therapy     |  |_) _    According to Heisenberg, all you have
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu      |  \ |_)   to do is observe it, and you change
ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-3697          |_)   it.