Disposal of U, Th Obtained Under General License

I'm new to this listserv, so if this has been discussed before, I ask your
indulgence.  My question is: with respect to disposal of uranium and thorium
compounds obtained under general license - 10CFR40.22(b) states that these are
exempt from the provisions of Part 20.  Yet, disposal as lab/chem waste is
virtually out of the question.  How are colleges/universities handling this
problem?