Re: Disposal of U, Th Obtained Under General License

CHRIS KUECHLE 937-5276 wrote:

> I'm new to this listserv, so if this has been discussed before, I ask your
> indulgence.  My question is: with respect to disposal of uranium and thorium
> compounds obtained under general license - 10CFR40.22(b) states that these are
> exempt from the provisions of Part 20.  Yet, disposal as lab/chem waste is
> virtually out of the question.  How are colleges/universities handling this
> problem?

These waste streams are being handled via disposal at either Hanford, WA
or Barnwell, SC as rad. waste.  Uranium nitrate and thorium nitrate are
oxidizers (EPA D001) as well as radioactive and, as a result, require
proper treatment before aceptance at either site. Should you have any
further questions please contact us direct (714-997-8090).