Re: Job Availability or Lack Thereof

>As much as the number of job placement ads in the newsletter are not a
>good measure of the number of jobs, I wonder if the thickness of
>the resume book at the annual meeting is a good measure of the number of
>people looking for work. And is there some assumption that all the HPs
>putting Job Wanted ads in the Newsletter get one?

No guarantees for a job are made but visibility and opportunity are.  My point
was merely that HPs have turned their backs on a great service.

>I suggest asking those who have put out ads how many responses they have
>gotten, or asking those looking for work how many jobs there are or how
>many recent graduates have gotten jobs.

This is a major problem with the Placement Committee.  It is difficult to track
the advertisers.  Warren Church is attempting to address the situation.  I can
say that this activity is more of a "nice to have" metric than a necessity.
ORAU/
ORISE is paid to accumulate statistics.  The committee operates out of the
budget
of their respective employers.

I agree that Bruce's Homepage is a wonderful place to post a resume and get job
leads.  I used it several times when the Committee's resume book didn't possess
any potential candidates to meet an employer's request.

Bill Lechner
lechnwr.add@notes.abbott.com