From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: re: NRC Proposal
Date: Friday, August 09, 1996 11:05AM

     The NRC has proposed this 10 mrem per year limit for air effluent in
     10 CFR 20.1101(d) as an "ALARA requirement".  The NRC even has a draft
     reg guide (DG-8016) to assist licensees in complying with this
     proposed reg.  I don't believe this proposal has been adopted yet.

     I think this sets a dangerous precident.  This implies that ten
     millrem from the inhalation pathway is more dangerous than 10 mrem
     from any other pathway.  From what I heard, this is the only way the
     NRC could get the EPA to rescind Subpart I of NESHAPS.  I think we
     will be forced to accept the ten mrem air effluent limit, the only
     question is who do you want to deal with; NRC or EPA ?

     Mike Vala
     mvala@usccmail.bms.com

     These are only my opions, not those of my employer...