NPR piece

	National Public Radio's "Morning Report" put out a really bad
piece this morning. My letter to them follows; letters from others would
be useful.

								August
22, 1996
The Morning Report
National Public Radio
635 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20001-3753

Dear Sir:

	I am writing to protest bitterly against your piece in RThe
Morning ReportS of Thursday, August 22, about the war by RClamshell
AllianceS against the Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant. It was completely
one-sided, glorifying Clamshell Alliance and implicitly attacking not
only the Seabrook Plant but all nuclear power plants. The underlying tone
of the piece was that nuclear power is bad, and those who attacked it
were heroic. This is in sharp contrast to the views of the overwhelming
majority of scientists and other technical experts, over 90% of whom
support nuclear power and consider the attackers to be misguided,
uninformed, or worse.

	I did not take notes as I heard the report while half asleep, but
let me offer a few specific criticisms:
	1. Giving the Chernobyl accident as evidence that nuclear power
is dangerous; the Chernobyl plant was vastly different than U.S. plants
and could not have been licensed in U.S.; that type accident could not
happen in U.S. Plants. Incidently, it was not a RmeltdownS as was stated.
	2. Citing the time delay for completion and cost over-run of the
Seabrook plant as shortcomings of the technology; actually they were
caused by Clamshell Alliance.
	3. Ignoring the fact that the stated goal of Clamshell Alliance
was to save some soft shell clams, and that the Plant constructors
eventually satisfied that problem at a cost of billions of dollars.
	4. Treating law-breakers as heroes; do you support the right of
anyone so ignorant as not to understand the basis for laws, to just break
them and be labelled RheroesS?
	5. There was no mention of the fact that fossil fuel burning
electric power plants, the only alternative to nuclear plants like
Seabrook, are recognized to be killing tens of thousands of people per
year, whereas there is no evidence that any U.S.-type nuclear plant has
ever killed anyone.
	6. There was no mention of the great environmental advantages of
nuclear plants over fossil fuel plants - no air pollution, no global
warming, no acid rain, no acid mine drainage, etc, etc

	There were many other points that disturbed me, and if you want
more details, just send me a transcript and I will respond promptly.

	That piece was so bad and one-sided that I feel very strongly
that NPR is duty bound to put on a separate piece to balance it. I have
published three books filled with material that would help you prepare
such a piece, and will send you copies if you request them for that
purpose. I would be glad to help in preparation of such a piece, or if
you prefer, I can recommend other scientists who would be willing to help.

								Sincerely Yours,

								Bernard
L. Cohen
								Professor