non-ionizing radiation

To: RADSAFE --EKSMTP

*** Reply to note of 08/22/96 10:30
From: J.M.Greco, OHSP, Radiation Safety Officer, 1/320/KP/2-6261
Subject: non-ionizing radiation

Regarding microwave oven survey policies:
Two years ago, I inherited mw oven survey oversight.  We have 1500 ovens
that we were aware of, and I'm sure there were more out there.  One person
dedicated half his time for surveys, recordkeeping, interlock checks,
meter calibration, etc.  Surveys were done annually.  I reviewed past
survey data, which indicated no ovens exceeded 5 mW/cm2 (FDA limit)
and almost all were less than 1 mW/cm2.  The FDA regs, 21 CFR part 1030,
state that ovens shall be less than 1 mW/cm2 prior to purchase of
the oven (essentially a manufacturer spec), and 5 mW/cm2 thereafter.
There was no requirement for an annual or otherwise regular survey.
I also did some informal benchmarking, as you are now, and found
of the people I spoke to, most were not performing annual surveys.

Taking into account the time spent, lack of data showing leakage,bench-
marking, and no requirement for annual surveys, I proposed that we cease
annual surveys, and only survey upon request.  I received a small amount
of objection, but most responses were positive.

We have labelled ovens with a sticker which lists a phone number if
a survey is requested.  In the last two years, we have received less
than a dozen requests for surveys.

Annual surveys probably started in the 70s, when ovens were starting to
become prevalent.  Eliminating a service perceived to reduce safety
is sometimes difficult.  Newer ovens, if they are kept clean (esp.
around the door), have performed very safely.  One question I asked
of the people who objected to elimination of surveys was "How
often do you survey your oven at home?" (which they probably used
more often than the one at work).  Usually I received a sheepish
grin in reply.

Hope this helps with your decision.

 Joe Greco   Radiation/Laser Safety Officer
 phone:83324   fax:87763    email:jgreco@kodak.com
 "Illegitimi non carborundum"