pancake probe to mr/hr conversions

At the last place I worked (not a national lab), we always "calibrated" our
pancake probes (thin window GM tubes for those so inclined) to obtain a
conversion factor in case a technician came across something unexpected and
didn't have another instrument.

We usually had a conversion factor of about 4.1 cpm=1uR/hr (Cs-137).  This
is subject to quite a few limitations, but when you're working in the field,
 a ballpark number is better than nothing.

This is subject to lots of disclaimers, etc, as it has no bearing on my
employer.

Brian Rees
brees@lanl.gov