Re: cpm conversion to mrem/hr

Dear Fonz or Franc, or whatever..........

I thought of sending this to you directly, since I didn't want to waste the
bandwidth of my fellow "American" Health Physicist who have much better
things to do than to listen to me "flame" you.  However, I elected to
include them as well, since there may be a small amount of entertainment
value.

[sorry Melissa, I know this thread has gotten way off subject, but  I just
had to..............]

First of all,  I could give a shit what credentials you have.  They say
nothing for the type of person you are.  Which you have made it readily
apparent to the "entire world" that you are a man of extreme ignorance and
prejudice.  [Boy that sounds familiar, didn't you have a fellow countryman
with those same characteristics around fifty years ago, what was his
name.........?]

By you "assuming" what Mr.  Harrison was going to use the conversion for,
and how he was going to use it, you have displayed the most severe of all
human traits, ignorance.

Secondly,  to come out on an International forum, (i.e. RADSAFE) and blast a
collegue (or at least someone with an interest in our field) is ludicrous.
 The world of health physics is small, and cooperation is a must if we are
to make strides in educating ourselves and the world public regarding the
risks and rewards or the use of radiation and radioactive materials.  You do
the World of Health Physics a disservice.  If you are what is respected in
the field of Health Physics, I am ashamed to call myself a Health Physicist.
 However, I believe you are an outlier in a group of  distiguished
scientists who call themselves HPs, in American and many other counties
(including Austria).

All the credentials you boast about are not worth the paper they are written
on.  Good day to you.  And I for one, will join Mr. Harrison's boycott of
your messages to RADSAFE, and kindly flush your messages just as soon as
they appear in my inbox.  You have nothing of value to add to an otherwise
informative service.
Jim,

I am using rules of thumb extensively every day. But before I use it I
establish the rules according to my instrumentation. I use the words
"relatively high", "very high", "extremely high", "low", "very low",
"negligible" very often - but only related to the instruments I use. A
Cs-137 contamination of some Bq per liter might be high for milk, but it
will be low for certain mushrooms. Such rules of thumb cannot be found in
books or publications. I hope you agree that the rules of thumb need a
certain experience.

I think that sarcasm is sometimes a very good way to make people think. Not
all react positive to it. I had about 6 positive replies within about 15
minutes and one negative - this was the person who posed the question, who
accused me of spending 75% of my time before the screen and he will push the
delete button whenever he sees my name. He is even so stupid that he is not
aware of the time difference between the USA and Europe. It is now 11:10 pm
and all my activities with e-mail and radsafe are conducted in my sparetime.
I like to receive the information available on radsafe. You as well as
everybody is cordially invited to use the same sarcastic way with regard to
European conditions.

Best regards,  Franz
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7