Re: Dispersal of Spent Fuel -Reply

At 09:21 29.08.1996 -0500, you wrote:
>Not being a commercial nuke HP, I am relatively inexperienced about fuel
>"ponds" so bear with me.  Please send any comments to me.  Make them NICE
>comments since I am such a sensitive guy....guess I won't be hearing from
>Mr. Schoenhofer....
>
>OK, follow my "logic", keep a sense of humor...this IS supposed to be an
>educational media....

Hi,

If Todd Jackson had not written before I would have written something
similar. He dealt with your question extensively and I have only one thing
to add: As far as I know, the water used for cooling of spent fuel contains
also neutron absorbing material - maybe borate. You may also know that there
is also the possibility to use a dry storage place, where the rods are
cooled by circulating air, even passive circulation might be enough. Of
course the dimensions of such a storage place are chosen in such a way to
prevent any criticality problem.

Best regards, Franz
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7