Re: Radioactivity in soil

This does not answer your question, but it might be informative to note here
that the national average (U.S.) of Ra226 in soil is just about 1 pCi/gm, at
least that's my recollection of a paper of Fred Haywood's ca. 15-20 years
ago. If the background were 1-2 pCi/gm, and Ra226 were the only radionuclide
of concern, I'd think that 1pCi/gm above that would be detectable with, say,
a 2x2"NaI probe. I hasten to CMA by stating that it's been many years since
I've done environmental work, and my remembrance of likely countrates maybe
off the mark.

Chris Alston