Re: Trintiy Site as Positive PR?? -Reply

Good morning!  The Cold War (especially the Cuban missile crisis) was at
its peak when I was in lower elementary school.  I was at an impressionable
and vulnerable age, and the fears of the adults around me and the fears
expressed on TV and in the newspapers about nuclear war made a lasting
impression on me.  I had regular nightmares throughout my teens and
20s about nuclear war. (My fears didn't keep me from educating myself -
my last science project in high school was on nuclear war and ended up
going to the State Science Fair.)

I'm not wildly eccentric and may be
representative of some portion of baby boomers my age.  Although my
training and professional experience have provided a reasonable
perspective toward radiation as a hazardous agent (i.e., I'm
prudently cautious about the potential of large doses of radiation to
cause harm), I most certainly have deep-seated emotional baggage about
nuclear war and nuclear weapons.  I disagree quite strongly with Jim
Muckerheide's view that "Most people who think about it ... easily
put weapons in the spectrum of things nuclear and radiation ...."  I
might go to Trinity as a sort of pilgrimage to something that shaped my
youth and the age I grew up in and out of respect for an
extraordinary and awesome power, but I'm won't be there thinking about
nuclear weapons in the same way as any other source of radiation.

Sue Dupre/Health Physicist/Princeton University
dupre@princeton.edu