Re: Dose rate in outerspace?

HOFFMANJ@detroitedison.com wrote:
  I am curious about Shannon Lucid, the
> astronaut-scientist.  She has been in orbit around terra firma aboard the
> Russian Mir space station, for what will be a record setting 188 day flight.

We have evaluated TLDs flown on several shuttle mission flights.  The
dose rate is strongly dependent on solar activity and the specific
orbit, but have generally been somewhat less than 10 mrem/day.  That
would give Shannon Lucid somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 R.

David E. Hintenlang, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Nuclear and Radiological Engineering
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611
(352) 392-8112/FAX (353) 392-3380