Trinity

Regarding the linkage that nuclear weapons and commercial radiation usage
have in the public mind, Jim  Muckerheide said:

>This seems to reflect gov't/activist mindset that is generally not shared by
>the general public. Most people don't have these 'burdens'. They accept atomic
>weapons, with the dozens or hundreds of film clips of shots they have seen
>over the years, as real, direct, practical, and mostly "necessary"; and
>generally responsible for bringing and keeping the peace, and winning the cold
>war, even when they are convinced that the military-industrial complex overdid
>it and wasted a lot of $$.

[much similar material deleted...]

I'm no activist, but I don't know many people who feel that nuclear weapons
are practical or necessary.  Sorry, this is off topic.  I'm tempted to reply
to this disagreeable post in its entirety, but I'm sure we all have more
important work to do.
Gary L. Schroeder
Brookhaven National Laboratory
gs1@bnl.gov