Re: Error OLD X-RAY SHOE-FITTING MACHINES ...

Date:          Mon, 23 Sep 96 15:10:17 -0500
From:          Randall_F_Brich@RL.gov
To:            Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Subject:       Re: Error OLD X-RAY SHOE-FITTING MACHINES ...

Yes.  Once a moth I used to go to a Buster Brown Shoe and pick up one
of the free comics and I looked at the bones in my feet, wiggle my
toes,...

See Radiation Hygiene Handbook by Hanson Blatz, 1959.  Hanson Blatz,
 Saul Harris,  a fellow by the name of Hempelmann and others wrote
about the machines (like in the 1950's and early 60's).  My
recollection was that the exposure was like r/minute, rather low
energy but still significant.

I think Ron Kathren and others remarked about this item a year or so
ago, and, Oak Ridge or others may have a machine.

Good Luck.

George Anastas

     Does anyone recall the old x-ray shoe-fitting machines that were used
     in the 30's and 40's?  Apparently these machines were powerful enough
     to allow the fitter to see the bones of the feet and thus, ensure a
     good fit.  I am particularly interested in any references anyone may
     have to these machines, especially estimated doses to users.
     As others may be interested please reply to RadSafe. Thanks.
--IMA.Boundary.578805348--
George Anastas, M.P.H., P.E., C.H.P., Director
Environmental Health and Safety and
University Radiation Safety Officer
California State University, Sacramento
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA  95819-6002
Telephone 916/278-6456
Direct 916/278-5447
FAX 916/278-5960
anastas@csus.edu

"Expect the best and accept no less."

"The views expressed herein are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect the views
of California State University, Sacramento,
California State University, the State of
California or any of its political subdivisions.
This posting is disclaimed."