Re: Error OLD X-RAY SHOE-FITTING MACHINES ... -Reply

The nicest summary of the shoe fitting fluoroscope I've ever seen was in
the Health Physics Society Newsletter June 1996 p6 written by Dade
Moeller. He include plenty of references as well as info that doesn't
appear elsewhere in the published literature.

They were widely used into the 1950's, I know, I used em then.
Dose estimates are tricky because they mostly used by children who
would use them again and again for fun. Once you used one, you were
hooked.  When my brother was getting shoes, I'd use the machine to
pass the time. Other people I've talked to routinely stopped in the shoe
store on the way home from work to play with them.

Dade gives an exposure of 7 to 14 R to the feet for a 20 sec exposure.
Dose to the pelvis might have been 0.03 to 0.17 to the pelvis. I've seen
some survey data that suggested lower numbers but don't ask me
where I saw it.

Also check the radsafe archives for info.

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs
ORISE
framep@orau.gov