Re: Chernobyl - reply to Alex Zapantis

Radiation levels ( neutrons ) were said to have risen sharply inside the
Chernobyl No. 4 on september 16th according to Reuter.Valentyn Kupny, said
to be  in charge of the sarcophagus ( what ever taht means ) , said that
some neutron meters inside the sarcophagus had shown incrase in neutron
radiation.
 The increase was temporary,. Similar incidents have taken place in 1990 and
1995.
Information provided on september 18th indicates that the Ukraine
authorities consider the detections made earlier to be malfunction of the
meters involved
after manual measurments of neutron flux and gamma radiation.
It should also be taken into considerstion that Ukrainian officials consider
rebuilding the sarcophagus to be a top priority. President  Kuchma has
promised to close the two reactors still in function by the year 2000, but
this deadline can not be met unless the West begins providing some of the
more than $ 3 billion it has agreed to provide in aid and loans  !!!
More information to be sent directly to you to save bandwith.
Sigurður M. Magnússon