Re: Dermal Absorption of Act

        Reply to:   RE>Dermal Absorption of Actinides

Robert -

Regarding your question about dermal absorption of actinides, you might take a
look in ICRP Publication 48, "The Metabolism of Plutonium and Related
Elements."

Naturally, this is only my humble personal opinion, and does not necessarily
reflect those of my august employer or it's august regulatory agency.

Gary Mansfield
LLNL
mansfield2@llnl.gov

hence the following question to the Radsafe community.

1) Has anyone come across or know of dermal absorption coefficients for
actinides or heavy metals or calculated radiological doses for the dermal
exposure pathway.

The only reference that I have found to date that comes close is from
EPA/600/8-91/011B, and this only deals with tritium. Logically, a transfer
coefficient for heavy metals should be extremely small, however we need a
citable reference/methodology. Use of EPA default absorption coefficient may
not be feasible.

Robert Monsalve-Jones
GRAM Inc.
974 17th Street
Los Alamos, NM 87544
telephone (505) 661-6700
fax            (505) 661-6705
e-mail       sweis@roadrunner.com

Answers to the questions can also be sent to me at the above address or
e-mail.
Thanks in advance.