No Subject

 Dear Radsafers

                I am interested in knowing how high energy X-ray doserates
produced in pulses, can be measured. We have a 450 MeV electron synchrotron
about to start operation, where such high energy  X ray monitoring would be
needed.The pulse duration is 1 microsecond and repeats every few seconds.

The very high doserate during the pulse, the energy of photons and the pulsed
nature of radiation rules out usual active monitoring techniques.Ionisation
chambers are of some help,but not much.

One method is to use TLDs for some convenient time, say for every shift,
and read them.However this method is not without limitations.

What I am looking for, is an active method to measure such radiation fields.

How area radiation monitoring is acheived in such accelerators elsewhere?

Thanks to all in advance.

Sunil Nair  <sunil@tifrvax.tifr.res.in>
MEHIA,TIFR
Bombay 400005,India