Re: Ni-63 portable detector

At 08:41 04.10.1996 -0500, you wrote:
>Radsafers,
>

>	I am interested in purchasing a survey instrument (not a LSC)
>for detecting low-level beta radionuclides.  My particular interest is
>in Ni-63, but if I can get one that will see tritium too that would be a
>bonus.  If any of you out there have and use such an instrument I would
>appreciate any comments you might have on it (pro or con).  Thank you.
>
>					Fritz Strydom
>					Health Physicist
>					Georgia Tech
>					fritz.strydom@nnrc.gatech.edu

Fritz,

You did not specify, what kind of measurements you need the survey
instrument for. Is it in the field, in decommissioning work....? What kind
of material do you want to check? Water, concrete, tritium in air, surface
contamination? What is the range of radionuclide activity concentration you
expect?

Without this information it will be hardly possible to give you a good
advice. As far as I remember there exist measurement devices for tritium in
air, but they work only with very high concentrations - which is not
surprising. If it is in water you will hardly be able to avoid LSC!

Best regards,

Franz
Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7