re: Sealed Industrial Sources

Radsafers:

        The static eliminator event occurred in the 1987/1988 time frame and
involved the series 900 high-pressure static elimination "air guns" that
contained approximately 10 mCi of Po-210 each, specifically Models 902,
902F, 906, and 908.  These devices were made by 3M.  The NRC became involved
after reports of contamination at the Ashland Chemical Company at two of its
plants in Easton, PA, and Dallas, TX.  The air guns were used as air
cleaning devices to remove dust particles from chemical packaging bottles.
As a result, the NRC ordered 3M to suspend the distribution of the above
models of the series 900 Po-210 static eliminator devices on 25 Jan 88,
until the cause of the polonium release was determined and a corrective
action plan approved by the NRC (NRC Docket #030-044951 and 030-04971, HQ,
NRC, 25 Jan 88, signed by Hugh L. Thompson).  The present president of the
HPS was hired by 3M to review the data that was provided to the NRC in
support of the 3M license to distribute 3M-brand static eliminators (3M
memo, Feb 19, 1988, Austin Center/3M, Austin, TX).
        For even more information regarding static eliminators, see HPJ, Vol
58, No. 4, April 1990, pp. 469--475, by Wallace and Williamson.  NOTE:  This
article requires a fair amount of "reading between the lines" in order to
discern who the major protagonists are.  REGARDS  David

At 04:23 PM 07-10-96 -0500, you wrote:
>     Mike G. -
>
>     I think what you are referring to was the Po-210 static eliminators
>     recall in 1987 or 1988.  The polonium was encased in ceramic
>     microspheres and these microspheres were epoxied to the inside radius
>     of an airline.  Air was blown through these devices to eliminate
>     static charge on process lines and other equipment.  Apparently dirt
>     and grease from the air blowing through the line corroded the epoxy in
>     some of these devices and the microspheres were blown out onto the
>     process line area.  One pharmaceutical facility in NJ, not the one I
>     work for :-), was contaminated.  I believe they found contamination in
>     the processing area, cafeteria, and employee's cars.
>
>     As I recall, since the Po-210 was encapsulated, very little internal
>     dose would be experienced if the microsphere was ingested of inhaled.
>     The microsphere was large enough to be cleared by the nasal passages
>     and durable enough to withstand the GI tract.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Mike Vala
>     mvala@usccmail.bms.com
>     ------------------------------
>
>     Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 07:58:14 -0700
>     From: "Michael P. Grissom" <mikeg@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
>     Subject: Re: Working life of sealed industrial sources
>
>     Radsafers,
>
>     I believe one of the more notorious failures may have been,
>     as Wes Dunn noted earlier, more one of device.  That is, some
>     years ago industrial air cleaners used Ra-226 sources in the
>     nozzles (?) to de-ionize air.
>
>     Rumor has it that source material was released into many
>     containers being "cleaned".  Unfortunately, the company was
>     a major food processor and containers (filled with food) so
>     cleaned apparently did make it to market.
>
>     Anyone recall the particulars?
>
>     S.,
>
>     MikeG

David W. Lee