Re: Regulations for Class 3a Laser Pointers

I'd check with the Iowa Department of Public Health, Bureau of
Radiological Health (i.e., the same people who regulate your
radioactive material and x-ray use) to see whether they have any
regulations.

I'd also worry about the liabililty aspect.  It would be very easy to
file assault charges on any such individual (even though the 3a
shouldn't be a direct hazard in such a case, a bright light across
the eye can lead to other problems).

Wes

> Date sent:      Tue, 8 Oct 96 09:49:01 -0500
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           "Kerns, Ken" <kckerns@iastate.edu>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        Regulations for Class 3a Laser Pointers

> I am looking for any regulations which would prohibit the use of laser
> pointing devices at large gatherings (i.e. rock concerts, basketball games).
>  I was told by the manager of a large facility that audiences are beginning
> to use more of these devices at rock concerts and occasionally at ball games
> (to distract free-throw shooter?).  They are usually class 3a lasers. The
> policy of the facility is to confiscate the laser and return it at the end
> of the event.  They feel the laser pointers are a distraction and a
> nuisance, not to mention the safety hazard if misused.
>
> The only potential regulation or standard I have been able to identify is
> ANSI Z136.1 section 4.5.1 on Laser Demonstrations Involving the General
> Public.  I think it's a stretch to apply this section to the "recreational
> use" of the pointers.  Do you know of any other regulations, standards, or
> guidelines which could apply to this situation?
>
> =======================================
> Ken Kerns, Radiation Safety Officer
> Iowa State University
> Environmental Health and Safety
> 118 Agronomy Laboratory
> Ames, Iowa  50011
>
> 515-294-0746 (office)
> 515-294-3199 (fax)
> email: kckerns@iastate.edu

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us